A Peep Into My Thoughts!

Find my thoughts on cricket, poetry, politics and a lot more..




Monday, August 23, 2010

Beautiful Firsts

As the calendar rolls over,
And the clock ticks by..
I slowly realise,
That cannot come back, what has gone by..

The undying faith of being safe when thrown up in air,
The soft hands which form a cradle to embrace me,
While from one corner, my Mom just stares..
The big applause on my first wobbly step,
Made me realise that I'm no less than a rockstar..

My first day at school where my Mom waved at me,
Scared I was when I knew that she won't be with me..
Joys of having my first ever friend and soon my first fight with him,
The chances of being carefree again, have now gone dim..

The fancy dreams of standing out in a crowd,
The efforts to make my parents proud..
The urge of being special in someone's mind,
Those were the days when nothing else played on my mind..

The first letter to her, the first nod of hers,
The endless talks and the long walks..
The dreams of building a world of our own,
And all this while, the feelings had just grown..

The first date and the first kiss,
Unforgettable moments they were and I kept dreaming of revisiting this..
Amidst all this, the world moved on,
Suggesting to me about the responsibilities piling on..

The same teen spunk was now dressed in formals,
All ready to be a professional..
The homework made way for deadlines now,
Fun and frolic were no more a part of now..
At times, the punk would spark off again,
Grabbing his beer and babbling all the way,
School friends were remembered with a strange smile and a lot of pain, and missed those who were miles away..

Joys remained but definitions changed,
Scholarship made way for my first pay check..
The expression on my parents' face was a moment to cherish,
And as I look back now, it's a life without a blemish..

Every first holds a special place,
A beautiful moment which nothing can replace..

P.S: Hope this post has lived up to the expectations, especially when it has come after a long time. Have a read and feedback welcome. Cheers!

12 comments:

  1. First things always hold a special place in one's heart and life. A nicely written poem which anyone can immediately identify with or relate to.Simple yet it holds the essence of life...hope there are many more firsts to come in your life which will make it more colourful.Simple read for masses :)...keep writing

    ReplyDelete
  2. An unanimous thought put in nice lines..but u let go of d grip at times in an attempt 2 rhyme them..or so i feel
    But all in all...good read..Thumbs up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i loved it.it is so true !!!
    :) :) nicely put roy...indeed a true mirror image of the past and the present

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shirsh, a good piece of work. Keep harnessing the poet in you. Enjoyed this and am looking forward to seeing a complete compilation of all your poems. Great going!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shirsh, it was somewhat like walking in a retro parade.....Ages revisited....

    With time almost everything changes, but don't change or let the poetic bug (inside u) die.. SUperB one.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. exquisite piece !!!!!!!!lovely one dear !!! great job !!!do write more !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't know when ur tryst with poetry started, but all I can say is that you can give a lot of other writers a run for their money. The clarity of thought and expression is so profound that it makes it a jewel in your crown. Always love reading your poetry as it has got a touch of class and simplicity to it. Keep up the great work buddy!

    Best wishes from your
    BC MC Shanky

    ReplyDelete
  8. way to go bhai..the poet in u is growing everyday..u have always raised the bar higher and higher whenever u do something new and i hope i acquire the same trait from u some day..:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nicely penned!

    Keep 'em coming...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really became nostalgic reading thru these lines...indeed a fantabulous piece of writing..n undoubtedly liked it a lott..
    and as always i tell u, keep on d good work..
    good luck..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful! Was a pleasure to read, lie back and think about all those firsts in life, all the while smiling :) A very impressive one with a lot of impact, I must say !

    ReplyDelete